Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How to draw a tree

So, speaking of dreams, one of mine is to become an award-winning graphic designer that puts her fingertips on the keyboard and mouse and MAGIC happens. It's true. But, I realize that the first step to becoming fantastic is practice. And having drawing and visualization skills. Two of which I struggle with. So, I decided to face one of my biggest drawing fears (other than drawing people) and draw a tree. I remembered in my sixth grade art class, that drawing a tree is all about splitting the branches apart. But as I started, it just wasn't looking right. So I restorted to my trusty advisor as I always do...Google...and my search results came up with this: A tutorial on how to draw trees.

I started with a blank piece of paper, and an idea. I want a new blog background, and I remembered this beautiful tree with a moss-covered bench that I saw the other day while running over by Tumwater falls, and it became my inspiration.

(Quick side note: I've always had a fascination for beautiful things in nature. It's my favorite kind of photography.)

Here's what I came up with!

Now on to the drafting stage in illustrator. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope to see the results! I saw this page on Pintrest and am looking to draw my own tree for a large back tattoo. The tutorial you linked is where I'll start! Thanks!